Wednesday, November 17, 2010

I Am

This piece was inspired by the movie For Colored Girls and the young women I have become a mentor to who I am going to refer to as the HEARTS of Hartman.....

I Am

I am the girl next door, I am the girl who wants more, the girl that has tried and tried- the girl consumed with pain she tries to hide, by letting u inside
inside this vessel that was meant for more than the warmth of ur manhood.
You see I am much more than the girl u see, I am the epitomy of captivity
I am a prisoner held capive by my own mind.
I have let the dust from this world rust the girl God made me to be.
Hiding behind my own insecurities, giving u the sweetness that's me
without a second thought of what it could cost... Not seeing all that I've already lost.
I am so much more-but who I am is hidden behind a locked door.
I've put up this wall, to shield me from reality, but all it's really done is become a falsity...
But somehow I know that I am more than what's between my thighs- from the mire of the earth I must rise and realize who I am and who God meant for me to be
I am not a rug to be walked on or a towel to be continuously used until the fibers begin to unravel
 I am a gem, a queen, a sista with dreams
I am the girl who wants the world

I am just lost and confused, I have been constantly abused and misused
I am reaching out for you
Will you reach back or leave me as I am

No comments:

Post a Comment